Sunday, October 1, 2023

On a Healthy Kick

 At this late date in my life I am so much more aware of being healthy. Up to now I guess it would just take care of itself.

But, the more I hear about the 'bad for you' things that are being sold in stores, it scares the beegees outta me. 

They say ignorance is bliss.... 

I sure was full of bliss!! 

I loved salt... still do but having that scare recently with my blood pressure shooting up to over 220 put the thing in perspective. I use Mrs. Dash or lemon juice instead of salt most of the time now. 

And, then we had a wellness coach come talk to us one day and I started thinking about how we all are killing ourselves with what we put in our mouths. 

I've had tummy problems for years so this week I went on a week's diet to try to heal some of the damage that inflammation has caused in my gut. The diet is not bad but I am glad I only have to do it for one week. 

My breakfast this morning was yogurt topped with fresh fruit. Later on during the day I can have some chicken, some veggies but no grains, no sugar, no processed foods. Man, I am gonna miss that sweetened cereal I ate every morning. 



As far as sugar goes... that has to be cut way back. Everything I read and hear says that sugar feeds cancer. I definately do not want a recurrance of my breast cancer. I'm gonna miss my sugar, too. 

12 comments:

  1. I have found that Monk Fruit is a wonderful substitute for sugar. Sold in stores or on Amazon
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Latane. I am also trying to eat healthier than I have done in the past, and reading your post keeps me in the right direction. Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you! I also think that what we eat makes such a difference, but I do like sweet things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My motto has always been all things in moderation. So far it has worked for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. All those years of blissful ignorance. I have cut way back on sugar and my eye doctor has me on an almost every day kale or spinach diet. It's a challenge, but the alternatives keep me going back to spinach. Always glad to see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought peanut butter powder to add to greek yogurt, topped with banana and homemade granola. The joke was on me. The peanut butter powder has added sugar. I'm just going to add good ol' organic peanut butter next time. Otherwise, we eat eggs, meat and/or Einkorn pancakes/waffles for breakfast. There is sugar in everything in the stores anymore. There is even sugar in your breakfast sausage rolls, and many other breakfast sausages. I make mine homemade now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered the same breakfast you are having now when I went on vacation a few years ago and have had it ever since. Vanilla yogurt, fresh fruit and granola for crunch. I have more energy in the morning without a big heavy breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to eat pretty healthy, but have to admit I can't seem to kick the craving for sweets. I hope your diet helps with your tummy problems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm guilty of eating too much sugar and salt too:( One of these days I will get serious about eating healthier but currently I'm kind of off and on as to whether I eat healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a salt shaker lover! I put salt on before I even taste something! But I am also starting to watch what I eat and read more labels. When I saw that my mayonnaise had bioengineered ingredients in it, I was shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your new way of eating helps you to feel better. Your breakfast looks both healthy and delicious!!
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  12. If changing your way of eating helps your health then it is the best thing to do, Latane. Thankfully, I am not a salt-fanatic, now sugar is another story.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.