Saturday, September 16, 2023

Going to the Fair

 I learned some lessons yesterday... but then again, I learn some lessons of some sort nearly every day.

Shirley and John were headed to the county fair and asked if I would like to go. I've been going to fairs now and again all my life so I said sure. But, it had been over 10 years since I'd been to one.



Well, let me tell you.... ten years makes a whole heap of difference when you are getting on up in age!!

I found out that my walker just would not manuever over that rough terrain. If I wasn't being brought to a sudden halt by a small rock in my path, it was a twig the size of my finger that stopped me. I finally gave up and started using my cane . Thank goodness I had Shirley and John who did a fabulous job helping me about. 

I found out that hotdogs at the fair don't taste like they used to... and that a large cup of iced tea was $6. 


I found out that the participation in a county fair has dwindled to very little. That was disappointing!


I found out that, although I would have so loved to have ridden the camel, the getting from the platform into the saddle just wasn't for 89 year olds to attempt. 


I am glad I went.... but I won't attempt that again. Just too dangerous, too trying, not as I remembered it. I'll cherish my memories of past fairs and let it go. 



7 comments:

  1. Good for you for going. I must admit, I would have loved to see you on a camel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like the weather was fine. The fair itself maybe a bit of a let-down. I wonder how many people actually took rides on that camel. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing is the same as it used to be, unfortunately. Maybe we misremember, maybe we’re accurate in our memory, and things just aren’t the same. At least you went, got out in the fresh air, and enjoyed a hot dog with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you have the memories but I hope the experience doesn't stop you from going on other outings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our zoo offers camel rides too. I don't think I'd enjoy riding on a camel but never having done it, who knows? My teenage niece took the camel ride at my urging. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Almost 20 years ago I rode a camel with my granddaughter ... actually it was a bit underwhelming. $6 for a glass of tea? Yikes! I've not been to a fair since 1980-something, but ya. Like you, I prefer not to write over my memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right that participation has gone down for many county fairs, except perhaps in small towns. Funnel cake was always a fvorite of ours and hope you enjoyed yours as well, Latane.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.