Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Does a Sub Have Salt? You Betcha!

 This watching my sodium intake is getting to be a 'pain in the ...'. 

I have checked every label when there was one to check. Most times I have to toss that food due to the high numbers. I swear, I don't think there's much to eat without it being chockful of salt. 

With the new meds my blood pressure is the best it's been in years and years. So, I have been 'fudging' a bit on what I eat. I do love good food and I can't see me being a miserably hungry old lady  for the remainer of my days. Right? Live it up but be cautious, I guess is my new motto. 

For example, Michael had bought me a couple of those new frozen 'bowl' meals to try out. The lo mein one had more sodium in it than what I was supposed to have all day long!!

 I've been doing more cooking of fresh or frozen veggies, using Mrs. Dash or other herbs instead of my beloved salt. But, an hour later I am hungry!!

So, what did I do this afternoon? Went to Subway and got me one of those yummy chicken teriyaki 6" subs to divide between lunch and dinner. A gals gotta do what she's gotta do... right?


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I know the feeling! My husband tells me I put salt on things before I even taste them! And, I do! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard! Anything you buy ready made seems to be full of salt. I worked with someone who always said she had to be nice to her kids because they will sneak salt in to her when she's in the nursing home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard to be good all the time. I recently had a baked potato and a container of chili from Wendy’s. I had read it was one of the healthier fast foods. As far as sodium I am not sure as I can’t remember all the details, but maybe it would be an option? I used to buy a lot of the low calorie meals at one time, but a fellow customer saw me with the boxes in my hand and told me the sodium content was through the roof, that why they added such a lot was to make it taste good and we would keep on buying it, that I would be better off making it at home and encouraging me to do that. I think she was on a mission but I was grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most salty foods like bacon can be boiled, like a ham, to get the sodium levels down. Or pour hot water over foods then drain them. Takes the fun out of foods but at least you don't waste what you've already bought.
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Latane, I agree with you... I haven't had a subway sandwich for a very long time and having one would be a treat:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Live it up but be cautious....I like your new motto! We're told to limit salt intake as well as sugar ( the new poison) and also fat. That takes care of 95% of tasty foods right there. But we do our best, right?
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.