Thursday, August 10, 2023

Putting a New Plan in Place!

 Okay....

I straightened them out alright. (read my previous post if you are wondering what that's all about)

I have had one treatment of Herceptin to try to eradicate my HR2 positive cells in my breast. I have questioned every day the decision to have treatment at this age (89)  and yesterday the day was just right for me to make a big decision. I walked out without getting my treatment and have discontinued them. 

I mean, I am 89. What are the chances of me getting cancer again during the short span of life left to me? And, the dr. said Herceptin is almost always given along with chemo. They won't give me chemo at this age so I question why they would give me the Herceptin. Plus, there is the possibility of the medication damaging my heart. 

I trust God to take me at His chosen time. And, I trust Him to care for me until that time comes. So, why put myself through all the worry, confusion, being sick etc, etc, etc, that taking Herceptin was causing! I am at peace with my decision. 

Now, on to other things. Maybe I can get back to doing what I love to do... blog, write, read, listen to good music, eat good food, have fun, live life to the fullest. 

I guess you noticed that I did not mention cleaning house!! haha



 

14 comments:

  1. I would do the same as you. Once I was feeling like I was being "bullied" to take a medicine, by my dr. Well I was getting tests done at a hospital at that time (routine tests for yearly physical) and the nurse said to me "Honey, It's your body. If you don't feel comfortable taking it (it was statin meds), it's up to you!" That gave me confidence. That was 20 years ago and I had the calcium test on my heart recently, and I have zero calcium buildup. If I had taken cholesterol meds, they would have said "see how well they work"! andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latane, I applaud your decision. Doctors are all too quick to prescribe meds that may help but may also cause unwanted side effects. God will take care of you just as you believe He will. You are in my prayers. Love and gentle hugs, Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latane, I'm 78 and I also agree with you and your decision... for all the reasons you stated. Enjoy what time you have left and 'let go and let God' (I've always liked that thought). IMO (and it's just mine) sometimes a med that helps one thing causes another... and so on. I find the less I take the better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Latane,
    I think you have made a courageous and pragmatic decision. After a certain age it is important to consider quality of life as well as quantity. -I had a neighbor in her late eighties who stopped getting mammograms. She pointed out that if she were diagnosed with breast cancer at that age, she would not have treatment for these reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an inspiration. You do what's right for you and disregard the conventional wisdom. I'm beginning to think doctors do their jobs by rote -not wisdom- because their protocols command it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You thought long and hard and made a decision that fits you. That is a cute funny about OCD guests.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd make the same decision as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've a dear friend who recently made the same decision. Quality over quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would make the same decision! Quality of life is important and there is also great comfort in knowing God is taking care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have to do what you can live with! Being in constant pain or illness Because of the procedures or medications is ridiclous. I'm with you.
    Big hugs sweet Lady
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. God bless you, Latane! You're a good example for us all. Those who put their trust in the Lord are never disappointed. I love reading your blog, thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear you girlfriend, I think you made a good decision. Prayers for good days ahead and lots of OCD visitors. I think I may try that too:) Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You made the right decision for you! A big hug to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.