Monday, January 20, 2020

A Birthday Cookout

Yesterday was a fun day. We drove over to the Eastern Shore (Virginia) to go to a family cookout in celebration of a great-grandson's 9th birthday.  

One thing I enjoy is going over and through 17 miles of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. I just can't imagine the skill and hard work it took to put all that concrete and steel in water so that traffic flows across it day and night. I look for ships, porpoises, and birds and wonder what our forefathers thought when they arrived at that bay not knowing what lay ahead of them. It's just mind-boggling! 


                                                          But, back to the cookout. 

G-grandson and his Mom made cupcakes for his party. Lemon with a slice of candied lemon on top. Yum. 


She's teaching him and his sisters how to cook. I think that is a must and I applaud her for her efforts.

lighting the birthday candle. 

I sat in a big comfy chair and enjoyed the fire.


While GGrandson D and his friend rode around in the golf cart. 
Seems they had a little accident, like
running into a tree. 
D was not driving! 


A marshy creek edges their backyard so I watch for birds.
Yesterday it was just Hooded Murganser Ducks on the water.


After burgers and all the goodies that go with them, (and of course, Lemon cupcakes)
we headed back across that LONG 
Bay Bridge/tunnel toward home. 



7 comments:

  1. What a great outing! I am amazed at how tunnels and such work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to the great grandson!
    I would love to see those ducks!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got to go to the bday party and enjoy things along the way to and from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of Birthday cupcakes--even better if they are lemon. I too wonder about bridges especially if they were built before gigantic equipment was invented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea, birthday cupcakes! I've been over (and inside) that bridge. It's quite a bit of architecture. I enjoyed it. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful time! OH that bridge is awesome! Enjoy your day and your memories of this great birthday celebration. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seeing that photo of the Bay Bridge Tunnel brought back memories of our time on the ES. The fare is less costly if you drive both ways on the same day, but still an expensive ride that was well worth the time for a birthday celebration. Those cupcakes looked so good and I bet they tasted even better

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.