Monday, September 14, 2020

Talking to a Fence Post


I just ran into some friends and we got to talking about trying to open various things in the kitchen. 

Do any of you have that kind of trouble?

I swear, I think some 25 year old strong man is designing these cans, bottles, jars etc that our food comes in. 

I tried for a couple days to open a bottle of Cranberry juice. Couldn't budge it. I took a knife and cut the connecting little tabs between the lid and the other part. Still no go! I set it aside until someone younger and stronger came by to see me.

I even have trouble opening the tab opening cans, like soup and some fruit etc. And, don't get me started on jars of jam.

I do have an electric jar-opener that Black and Decker produced years ago. I can open most lids with that if the container isn't too tall or the lid too tiny. And, I am scared to death that thing is going to kick the bucket one of these days. What will I do then?

My electric can-opener has a detachable ring that you can use to open things. It was way too big for that bottle of juice. 

No one is paying attention to the needs of our older folks. It's sad. Someone needs to address this problem but ... 



7 comments:

  1. To open those pull-tab cans, my mother used to insert a knife (a silverware knife, not a sharp knife) under the tab and use it to prise it up and open. It gives you a bit of leverage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you LaTane! My hands are the weakest part of my body for some reason. I just don't have the strength in them I used to have and it drives me crazy!
    Have a wonderful week! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps-I just put you on my sidebar- I thought you were there before. I don't visit as much as I used to because of hubby's ongoing health issues. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having all kinds of problems trying to open things too. Especially Pogo's little containers of doggy food. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that trouble but I hand the jars and bottles over to my husband to open. Lucky for me. When we lived in the retirement community we had neighbors come by to ask Dan to open things for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just had trouble opening a jar of relish last night:) Us old folks need to hire a "jar opener" to help us, hehe! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes. I have trouble with the tab cans, too. Hey, I need my pineapple juice! I did learn that a can opener used for popping lids can grab that tab with its pointy little nose...then I have leverage to lift the tab. I have an ancient lid opener from my grandmother's kitchen that I would be lost without.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.