Friday, July 31, 2020

Thoughts of Hawaii


It's plumeria blooming time. And, it always reminds me of when I was soooo pregnant, with a 13 month old on one hip and a five year old hanging onto my other hand and we landed in Honolulu to join my husband for his 2 year Navy duty in Hawaii. Of course, we didn't stay there, but that's another story, as most of you know. 

But, seeing the pulmeria ... that sweet hubby met me and the girls with leis of plumeria that he draped around our necks just about as soon as we got off the plane. So sweet. Gee, that was awhile ago... 1957, to be exact. 

Anyway, my daughter sent me a cutting a few years back. You can't kill those things! I promise... cross my heart. If you could, mine would have died. But, it got so huge I could not move it from my house to this apartment, so I gave it to my grandson. And, he's shared it with others including my son, who, btw, was born in Honolulu (he was the reason I was sooooo pregnant).  He has always had a special connection to anything Hawaiian. 

Oh, I could go on and on about his collection of Hawaiian shirts...He's worn them just about everywhere he went.  I think we've about gotten him broken from wearing them now, though. They got pretty out-dated! 😀

5 comments:

  1. I love your stories! I've been to Hawaii several times and love it! I bought earrings to match the flower in your photo and a blue and white floral dress from Hilo Hattie's....by way of a thrift store there in Honolulu! I wear it from time to time every summer....and bought it over 20 years ago....more than 25 years ago actually! Time does get away from us, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful flower to be sure. Have never seen one before so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only seen pictures of them used in leis. Had no idea they were easy to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO beautiful, the flower and the memories! We visited Hawaii a good many years ago (2011) and loved seeing all of the pretty flowers. What a beautiful place. Funny about the shirts:) My husband has a few from our trip to Hawaii! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your stories. keep writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.