Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Scary Murder Mysteries


I've been reading myself cuckoo since this Pandemic took over. 

I mean, what else are you going to do?

You could clean house but that gets boring.

I am into murder mysteries right now. 

I've read some of David Baldacci's and I am deep into a huge stack of James Patterson ones.

A friend of Shirley's gave her a big box, maybe 30 of Pattersons so I will be reading for free for quite some time. 

Murder has always interested me. Don't ask me why... I have no clue.  (get it.... no clue😁)

But, I used to read those detective magazines back in the 1960, '70s. 

I was living with my four children in the town where I grew up. Elbert was deployed so we were awaiting his return.

One night I was propped up in bed, past my bedtime, reading another of those dang detective magazines when I heard a noise. It was nothing but I got myself worked into a frenzy so I called my aunt who lived about 5 miles from me.

"I'm scared, can you come spend the night with me?"

She was already in bed, but bless her heart, (we say that a lot down south, the bless your heart thing) but she just slipped a house dress over her pajamas, got in her car and drove up to my house, crawled in bed with me.

And, do you know what!!

She never once said,  'how could you get me outta bed?' 'why are you reading such scary stuff?' etc., etc., etc. 

She ought to have gone through my house, grabbed up every detective magazine I had and gone back home! 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, they don't *make* Aunts, like that, any more!!!! -smile-

    I guess I'm a wimp. I mostly like cozy murder mysteries.

    But I have read all the "Ruth Galloway" books, and they are murder! Am still reading the last one, so far.

    Have fun with your free stash!!!!

    πŸ’›πŸŒΏπŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love James Patterson...Alex Cross series too..I just can't read very long til I'm asleep..I spend too much time on the computer..Hope you are staying cool..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm a wimp too. I love mysteries, but cozy ones... nothing too graphic. And you did have a wonderful aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an aunt. We need more like her. I have read 19 of James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im no longer a Patterson fan in general (too much pop culture ) except I like the ones with the women. David Baldacci I read it all, the same with lee Child, and John Sandford. One of the advantage of retirement is that we can both read and watch tv during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like a good crime novel. I am running out of good books to read and I'm not a fan of rereading. Can't wait for the library to open once again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer murder mysteries too and have been reading more than usual - as you said, what else is there to do? lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's a wonderful AUNT:) It was nice to have someone you can call on when you were scared. I have lots of James Patterson books too. Some are waiting to be read. I bought a big box of them at an estate sale. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet aunt, she came to save you, no questions asked. Yes, I am doing a lot of reading these days too, a great way to escape for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.