Monday, February 3, 2020

Mr. Peanut Has Died!



                                                                    Oh No...


                                                 Mr. Peanut has died! 


If you watched the Super Bowl last night, you saw what happened to cause his demise.


He had been the mascot/icon of Planters Peanut Co. for 104 years. Poor ole soul. That's a long life. 


I moved to Suffolk, Virginia five years ago and of course, I became acquainted with Mr. Peanut. And, now he is gone. 


                                  But, let me give you a little history of this 'famous icon'. 


Amedeo Obici founded Planters Peanut Company in 1906, in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. A few years later Mr. Obici moved his peanut company to Suffolk, Virginia. (yes, there is still a plant and gift shop here) even though the company now is owned by Kraft.


In 1916, a young schoolboy, Antonio Gentile, submitted drawings of a peanut to a design contest and his design was chosen to be Mr. Peanut. While Gentile's family originally received five dollars for winning the contest, Obici befriended them and paid Antonio’s, and four of his siblings', way through college. After Obici paid Antonio's way through medical school, he became a doctor in Newport News, where he died of a heart attack in 1939. (This info came from Wikipedia)




We were so sad to think that The Planters Peanut Company 
was throwing Mr. Peanut to the wind. It didn't seem fair. 
But, in the Super Bowl  commercial .... ta da... 
                                    A New Baby Peanut appeared. (click on link)

Frankly, I loved the old one! It will take some getting used to this Baby thingofamagig!! 

8 comments:

  1. I didnt watch the game so didnt see that about Mr. Peanut but maybe we will eventually get used to the baby peanut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Mr. Peanut, too. I've watched the video of Mr. Peanut's demise and it makes me sad. We had a Planters store in Hartford when I was growing up and I treasured my Mr. Peanut mug. Baby Peanut is cute, but it will take some time to get used to the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Mr. Peanut lives on in our hearts and minds!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even know Mr.Peanut was sick. Baby is cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know this either. I do think that the Baby Peanut is adorable though. I'm hoping to spend a week or so in Suffolk sometime later this year. It's really quite beautiful there. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess they needed to get a new generation excited. Youthful image eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also saw the death scene and then the rebirth of Mr Peanut. I suspect we all hoped it would make a comback as he did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.