Monday, February 10, 2020

A Snake Tale

              It's about time for another story from my past

When I was small we lived out in the country. It was before 1940 so you know the deal... a well for our water, an outhouse for other needs, no electricity, laundry done in a tin tub out in the yard etc. etc. etc.
Here I am with my Mama and Sister.

One summer it was awfully hot and didn't rain for weeks. Our well just about went dry. Laundry was stacking up so Mama said she'd take the tub and dirty clothes down to the creek. She dipped enough water out of the creek and proceeded to wash our things on a rub board. When she had them all washed and rinsed, she needed to take the wet clothes back to the house to hang them on the clothesline so that they would dry.

She couldn't manage carrying all those clothes and me, too, so she stripped my clothes off and put me in the tub of rinse water to play while she was gone. It wasn't far, she could keep an eye on me.

So, I am sitting there playing (and cooling off) in the water and I see something coming toward me in the grass. I HATE snakes, scared to death of them. And, it was a snake alright. Headed right for my tub.

I would have been perfectly safe but I didn't know that, not at age 4 or 5. So, I jumped out of the tub and ran toward the house, stark-naked and dripping wet. Mama sure was surprised to see me coming, yelling my head off "Snake, snake."

                                         I still hate snakes!

9 comments:

  1. How funny! Your mother was very resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a city and never saw snakes until I moved to the front rage of Colorado 7 years ago. The first time I saw a rattlesnake I almost fainted. They are a real danger here on our trails in summer.

    I loved the graphic you used of the cat doing laundry! It made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you on snakes - detest them. Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, snakes make me cringe! Thanks for sharing this look back, running naked from snakes... that would be me too:) Have a blessed evening dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see what that story stuck in your memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha! ha! Great story. It made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. good story. I totally hate snakes. I will not tolerate them in my yard. In woods fine, not in my yard. I love that kitty doing laundry, gave me a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahaha! What a great story. Thank you for sharing. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Easy "water hack" burns 2 lbs OVERNIGHT

    Well over 160000 men and women are trying a easy and SECRET "water hack" to drop 1-2 lbs each and every night in their sleep.

    It is effective and it works with everybody.

    This is how to do it yourself:

    1) Go get a clear glass and fill it up half glass

    2) Proceed to use this awesome hack

    so you'll be 1-2 lbs thinner in the morning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.