Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Bird-watching Adventure

                                    I've been on a bird-watching adventure.

My granddaughter and her family live on backwater next to the Chesapeake Bay and every winter the Tundra Swans migrate to that area. I'd never seen a swan.. well, I did see a Mute Swan once in Boston but... that was it.

So, when she said she'd love for her mom and me to come for an overnighter we said yes. That way we would be there when the swans come in with the morning tide.

I woke up and immediately start slinging some clothes on. I was scared that those birds would decide to just up and fly away before I could get out there with my camera.

But, they were there and we spent the next couple hours enjoying the sight and putting our cameras to good use!




Following are some of the pictures we took with an explanation with each.

I hope you enjoy them as much as we did getting to see them in person.
                                             
 Here they come... swimming down the creek toward the dock.



We saw two groups of about 30 in each group.  Swans mate for life. So, I am assuming that these two are a 'couple'. 


A swan sticks his head underwater so he can eat whatever he can find. This one, the water is dripping off his beak.


This is the best shot I got. We could not leave her porch so had to use the zoom a lot. If we had started getting closer they would have left. Scaredy cats birds!!


This one is either exercising his wings or about to take off. 


My granddaughter goes down to the dock every morning and scoops up corn to fling it into the water so that the swans may eat. She feeds them 3 bucketfuls every day. I'd hate to have her 'corn' bill!

We also saw some Hooded Mergansers, other ducks, Canadian Geese, plus a mixture of songbirds. The robins have appeared in her yard... do you think Spring may be soon? After a mild winter we are supposed to get snow tonight! UGH

And, his fellow was beside the road when we went to lunch.
And, a first for me.. a Sharp Shin Hawk (no picture)


We ate at the Coach House Tavern in Cape Charles. 
We girls enjoyed our outing together.


I have another couple of trips planned in the near future.
I'll be taking you along with me on those, as well.



10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a nice birding adventure!
    (I think you may mean a sharp-shinned Hawk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat. They are lovely creatures.
    Just read your bio again. I was thinking you had two daughters and one son, not 4 children. One daughter in NY. one in VA near you, and son in the south. Who am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eldest daughter lives in Oregon. She and my granddaughter are coming to see me later in the spring.

      Delete
    2. That's why I don't read about her. She lives on the other side of the continent.

      Delete
  3. The swans are so beautiful and glad you were able to see them up close, or as close as possible. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH THE BEAUTY! I love ALL of these pictures! Spending time with family is the BEST! Love that last picture too! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome day for you girls! We have some beautiful swans at our local park. I'm hoping to get to the park one day soon to take some photos of our water birds. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you got to see that and get such neat pictures. The Trumpeter Swans come here to Lake Magness in Ar. in November and I got to see them. Definitely worth the trip. Your Grand daughter is so lucky to have them in her back yard so to speak.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.