Saturday, February 11, 2023

Love Affair with Trains



When I was just a kid, we lived by the railroad tracks. We were out in the country, no other houses around. I am not good with distances but I think that track was about 2 blocks from the house, just a pasture between us and it. 

I love trains! Guess it all started with that early exposure. I'd watch the trains go by, giant plumes of smoke rising from the engine's smoke stack, the wheels churning round and round. (That was before diesel or electric). When I lay in my bed waiting to fall asleep, I'd hear, way-off in the distance, the low mournful sound of the train whistle. 


It was both scary and enchanting to me. It sounded sad but I knew that the train would be going places I'd probably never go. Little did I know. 

I'd lie there patiently waiting as the train drew closer and closer. As it came near the road crossing not too far from the house the whistle would be loud and the headlight on the engine would flash on my bedroom wall. It was sort of like a friend who came to play and then ran away. 

I took my first train trip when I was 15. The high school band (Jasper, Alabama) was headed to Philadelphia to march in the National American Legion Parade. Oh, we thought we were BIG DOGS... our little country high school band participating in such an event. And, we had our own train car! For the whole trip. They'd just unhook the car from the rest of the train when we got to where we were going and it would be waiting when we were ready to move on. The coolest thing ever!

I've ridden the train a lot. From Alabama to California and back again three times. To New York City from Alabama many times. 



From Virginia to Nebraska several times when our son was living there. 



And, even rode a TGV (very fast) train from Paris to Switzerland! Whee!

I enjoy the scenery, the vast leg room, the dining car. I just love it all.  



In 2012 I went on a bus trip and it included a ride on a steam engine train. Too short a journey but nonetheless, a steam train. Wow. How I wish I could have been in the engine with the engineer. I'd have loved pulling that whistle cord just one time. 

I want to take one more trip on the train before I can't. We'll have to see what we can figure out. 

Have you ever traveled by train? Did you like it. Would you go again? Just wondering! 

17 comments:

  1. I love train travel! Well actually, I've not done so since the 50's when my mother and I'd travel from New Mexico to her folk's farm in Minnesota. I was always awed by the dining car with it's starched white tablecloths and silver sugar-and-creamers. Today the closest I am to trains are those freight trains coming out of Montgomery to gosh-knows-where. Love listening to their horns in the early hours. I'd love to experience another 'ride' someday!

    PS - Yes, the Prattville in my post is here in Alabama. We've been in Millbrook now (just a few minutes north of Montgomery) going on 5 years.l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister lived in Montgomery for many years. She died last year. Her daughter lives there and her granddaughter in Wetumpka so I am very familiar with the area. I am from Jasper originally but live in Suffolk, Va. now. near children. Glad to have found another Alabamian.

      Delete
  2. We took a very fast train between Barcelona and Madrid and return in Oct of 2019. When we lived in MD, several times I took the Vermonter from Baltimore to Windsor VT to visit daughter and family living in NH. No need to do that now that we live in NH too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful life! Full of blessings if we look hard enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a train lover too. Not sure exactly where you live, but you should be close enough to take an Amtrak from Norfolk or Newport News to DC. Seeing the cherry blossoms would be a terrific trip. If you can't go anywhere, you can watch live train cams on YouTube. Just put in Virtual Railfan. There are lots of free cams you can watch all day. There's one in Ashland, VA where you can see the Auto Train go by. Hope you get your wish for at least one more trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love trains too, especially the old ones. We've done a few short train trips, sight seeing in the Coyahoga Valley and and one in Colorado. Some day we'd like to do a longer trip. I enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We would love to make a trip on a train. We watch train cams and they are so much fun to watch. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like trains a lot. My maternal grandfather was an engineer on the Canadian Pacific Railroad so there's always been a lot of talk about trains and routes and adventures. Very evening, I listen to that mournful cry as the train passes through my town. I count the crossings as it whistles for each one. You described that so well. Yes, I have taken a few train rides. I don't think I enjoy them as well as you, especially if I am in a seat looking backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's something mysterious about trains, lighthouses, and old bookstores... maybe mysterious is not the word - possibly intriguing? I've traveled by train once while in College, once from Seattle to Bellingham to Vancouver (on our way to an Alaskan cruise), and several times on Brit Rail. Loved all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad loved trains and after he passed (2019) my sisters and I rode the California - Arizona train. It was only for short trips, museum goers could ride it as part of the entrance fee; we took our granddaughter on the Polar Express Train one Christmas; and I've ridden the Light Rail here in Seattle. But not a real train ride. Your passion for it makes me want to take a trip on one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a train museum near us! It's rather fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never ridden a train even though we have a train station about twenty minutes from us.
    Maybe someday before I also, can't.
    Hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your comment on my blog with the recommendation for an upbeat book to read, I will check in to it. When I graduated from college I traveled from Wisconsin to Mexico City on a train, quite fun. Also before the fabled Orient Express was renovated my husband and I took the Orient Express from Paris to Istanbul. It needed renovation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how wonderful to look back and remember the sound of trains. My Grandmother lived in an area where you could hear the trains, thanks for triggering that memory. I rode on a train when I was in the 7th grade to Washington and NY. It was our patrol trip. I still have good memories of that train ride. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love trains and took a lot of trains in Europe when I was a student.
    I have lived near a train station and it woke me up each morning by a noise and I could feel the vibrations.
    I took the TGV in France and Shinkansen in Japan. The trains are very confortable and very clean there.
    You should travel with the Orient Express to Venice !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello. I too love trains. There are tracks just beyond our home in the country and I never tire of hearing them, especially during the night. I do not travel by plane, but have travelled from Michigan to see my daughter in Colorado. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.