Sunday, February 26, 2023

Lots of Black-eyed Peas

 I love me some black-eyes peas. That's the Southern in me. 

So, when I decided to try out a new recipe for crock-pot black-eyed peas and I had a new small crock-pot (it may be 2 qt. I don't know), I got busy. 

I know. I mean that every southern gal knows that if you soak dried peas or beans overnight they are going to puff up. 

For some reason night before last, I threw all caution to the wind and dumped a 1 lb. bag of dried black-eyed peas into a large bowl to soak in water overnight. Don't ask me why. I think it was because the new recipe called for that and I was too lazy to sit down and figure out the math on every single item to reduce what would that would go into the pot. 

I got up yesterday morning to a big bowlful of bright eyed peas staring at me... ready to be cooked. Lordy, what had I done? The crockpot was full and I cooked some on the stove top. I am gonna be eating peas from now to Christmas!! 



I had a very satisfying meal of peas, mashed potatoes, spam, coleslaw and cornbread last night. All the rest went into pint bags and are now waiting in my freezer for me to have another black-eyed pea craving. 






FYI... I did not cook mine 8 hours.. checked it after 6 and it was already done.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds good, Latane. Peas/beans do NOT like me---even though I like them. But hubby loves them so I make them for him. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe I've never had black eyed peas? But this sure looks good! I like split peas, black beans and other lentils, so I think I would like this.
    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my that all looks so good! I'm from the South too and love black eyed peas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure does look tasty and think how nice it will be to only have to visit the freezer next time a craving hits. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally I like red beans and rice from Popeyes! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We haven’t had any black eyed peans since we moved from VA to NH and since there’s no good reason why, you have reminded me it’s time to enjoy again, Latane.

    FYI the 2 previous comments should be deleted as they may be from a spammer and really say nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have never had black eyed peas but read about them on blogs a bit!! and oh lord, my mom eats spam and i cringe every time she buys it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.