Monday, February 6, 2023

Living the High Life!


 
People just can't figure out where I moved to. It's not hard. It's a 55+ apartment complex. You have to be 55 or older to live here and it's an apartment. How simple is that?

But, I don't know how many people ask things like 'What do they serve in the dining room?' 'It must be nice to have your apartment cleaned by someone else' or 'I am not sure I'd want someone else doing my laundry'. 

Folks, I am my housekeeper. I scrub toilets, mop floors, make beds (even though changing the fitted sheets are getting more difficult). I cook my meals (when I don't eat out). I do it all.


(that's George playing with his phone at our birthday party)

Oh, it's nice to have the lawn maintained and if there are any repairs to be done... George is right on it! He's the maintenence boss. He's really nice. He teases me because he's only been in my apartment one time in the over two years he's worked here. I told him I didn't want to stir up any trouble. He laughed. Now, there are some who are constantly complaining. That's just not me. 

I think, when I said I was moving in 2014,  people thought 'hey, she's old. She must be going into an assisted living facility'. I may be old but I am not needing any help. Not yet. 

People think Del Webb started the senior communities in the early 1960s. He called it Sun City.  But, the first one was built in Youngtown, Az. in 1954. 

A century ago and longer, when a person got old they moved in with their kids. (heaven forbid) and sat around waiting to die. Times have changed, my dears. Independence is the topmost priority nowadays. And, we sure aren't sitting around. Isn't it grand to go into your 80s and 90s still kicking up your heels (well, maybe that wasn't a good word but you know what I mean). 

I hope the powers that be see the need for more and more senior apartment complexes. And, by the way. 55+. Where did they come up with that! 55 is not senior!! 

I love where I live. I am surrounded by the younger set (50s and 60s) and most of them still work. Then we have those who are active even in their 80s (like me). But, we do have a few wheelchair folks and more with rollators. I don't see walkers anymore. Most of the oldsters are still active. 

I am loving living in this time of my life. Being 'old' I can get away with a lot of things and still get into a lot of things. The best of both worlds. 


16 comments:

  1. I LOVE how you’ve explained the issues regarding this type of living Latane. We have many 55+ apt. complexes here in Raleigh and I often wonder how things run. Some you have to buy into, others I think are rentals. So glad you are happy in your choice of senior living - it does sound like a well run place.
    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. This was Mary above - came up as anonymous for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get away with a lot of things? 😉 Wonder what. We have a number of folks in their 50s living in the local senior housing. A good deal for them I suppose.

    Stay active as long as you can! Good call.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in a 55 plus community and it's wonderful! Everything is quieter than a neighborhood with families. I love being around all ages but it's nice to be here with people 'around' my own age. I love your beautiful building and the fun you have with people you've made friends with there. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My second oldest daughter is 55 so I agree that 55 is not a senior. That said, she enjoys the discounts that she is eligible for now. Thanks for clarifying your situation; you seem to have chosen your place very wisely. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, this is my favorite post!!! I am now 80 and still don't believe it. There must have been a mistake made somewhere. :) I started Line Dance classes at the senior center and absolutely love it. Oh, I have osteoporosis and back problems but I really really want to keep going and doing. Your apartment is wonderful! I hope I never have to move in with either of my daughters. Oh, there is a lady I met at line dancing class who turned 96 on December 21st. She is in the advanced class. Imagine that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s nice to read that you enjoy your living arrangements, Latane, and that you. Can still do many things for yourself. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful post. It is so inspiring to hear of seniors like you. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful to still live on your own...My hubby's Dad is 96 and Still lives in his 3bdrm house in the country, alone. He's still kicking up his heels!lol
    Enjoy!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! We are in a condo unit and most in here are 55 and older although there is really no restriction on age. I am so glad that you are able to maintain a home and do what you love. I think we "olders" stay young by maintaining our independence and staying as active as we can. Del Webb does a wonderful job on their communities. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for explaining your living situation Latane. I still live in my own home but know that I will need or want to move into a lower maintenance place in the future so I was glad to get a little better explanation on a 55+ Senior apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! I really enjoyed reading this! You are so right...people are healthier, live better and longer. It's all in the attitude of aging. Yes, people set us (I will be 72 in June} in corners, waiting for us to die! I think the 55 communities are terrific. My hubby and I started looking in to them. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you may have had to de-clutter when you moved into your apartment. I am still trying to sort my stuff and I'm being ruthless. Why do I want to keep stuff I no longer use?. Your situation sounds really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this idea, and yes, being old makes you free and, in my opinion, even happier. I enjoy reading and am learning about 55+ apartments for the first time. 
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/02/the-empress-of-melanin.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was lovely to see your name pop up on the Front Porch! You seem to be exactly where you were meant to be, with all those activities and great company. Stay well and warm, Faraway Friend! rachel

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agrée with you stay busy and stay young!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.