Sunday, April 28, 2024

Making Fascinators for the Kentucky Derby

 Man, I was one tired punkin last night. I had quite a day. Dau. Shirley has been heading up our activities on a volunteer basis since the office manager here at Centerbrooke wasn't available. We have a new office manager now but this big to-do was already in the works.

We are having a BIG Kentucky Derby Party next Saturday. So, of course we gals have to have our fancy hats to wear. Yesterday was a brunch followed by a session of us making our own 'fascinators' to wear. I tell you, we have some creative people. We had so much fun. Everyone just loved it! 


This is just some of the supplies we had to work from. 


Here is part of the group busy constructing hats to fit their own personalities. That's Shirley (the second one seated at the table) helping the other Shirley decided what to put on her hat. 


I loved the purple and yellow that Shirley decorated her hat with. But, then I am partial to purple. 


Teresa went with purple and red roses with a big fluff of netting to top her's off. She looks pretty pleased, don't you think?


Loretta has a ton of health issues so it was nice to see her attend. Just look at that hat she made all by herself! We will soon lose her here at Centerbrooke since she will be moving into an assisted living place. She just can't make it without help now. She's very talented and a sweet lady. 


I love Evelyn's hat. And, I just love Evelyn. She is such a sweet person and I always feel great just being around her. She wears those cute little over the ear pigtails fastened off with barrettes. I asked her  many barrettes she has and she said she used to have about a hundred but had given them all away except for this pair. She's been looking for some more so I got online and tried to find her some. I found it difficult. But, maybe I did find one set of 4 pair that might work. We'll see. 

Our brunch at 10 proceeded our hat making. Our new staff member furnished that! 

and here is our new staff. Jamilynn! 


Any of you gonna watch the Derby? Get out your hat and join in the fun wherever you are! 

Oh, I forgot to tell you....

After we were finished around 1:30 Shirley and I went to Burger King. That brunch food we ate was long gone by then. Guess we worked it off. πŸ˜‰

It was 4:30 when we finally peeled ourselves off our chairs in that place and headed home. She's been gone a week so we had a lot of catching up to do. 
So, yes. I was tired, my feet were swollen but I felt great. 
I'd been with my daughter... and my friends. Nothing can beat that. 

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful brunch! My grandkids in Florida watch the Derby with hats and all. andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hats are so much fun...fun to make AND to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative hats and each one unique πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ.
    My but those croissants look goooood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daughters are our gift from God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love seeing the activities at your place. They always looks like so much fun! The hats are all amazing! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun time and the food looked yummy.. and then a visit to Burger King loverly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have lots of fun. Great hats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Latane! Those hats everyone made are pretty fancy and just the kind of hats that are perfect for celebrating the Kentucky Derby:) It looks like you had a big turnout for the hat making and everyone had a great time. I'm so glad you had your catch up visit with Shirley too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.