Saturday, December 5, 2020

Cooking For One

 This pandemic has been so hard on everyone. And, to top it off I began to realize that things were never going to be the same for me. I will never be 20 again, or 50 or dadgum it, 80. 

I can't open a jar or a bottle! The grip in my hands are gone. If I buy something with a lid on it I have to wait until somebody comes along to open it for me.  It's so frustrating to have a craving for a certain kind of food, the thing is sitting right in front of you and you can't get to it. 


It's so hard to cook for one!  If I cook a regular meal I end up eating it for days! But, hey, the slack in appetite has it's rewards. I've lost 10 lbs. Yippee. But, now I can't wear any of my rings. Maybe I lost those 10 lbs. because I can't get that can of food open. Hehe.

I decided one day to try a new recipe for one. I marinated a piece of chicken then put the broiler on, slid my pan of chicken on the rack under that high heat. It wasn't but a couple minutes til my smoke alarm (my 2 smoke alarms) went off. And, I couldn't get them to shut up. I opened the door, fanned the air with a towel and still they  shrilled loudly. I was scared my neighbors would call the fire department on me. 

FINALLY... all is quiet! I open the oven door and (yes, I had a potholder in my hand) I reached for my pan of 1 chicken piece and burned my finger! After icing that down, I put my chicken on my plate and sat down to eat. That chicken was tasteless, tough, stringy. So much for new recipes! And, my kitchen was a MESS... oh, and the apartment smelled like smoke. 

I got online. Typed in HOME DELIVERY IN MY AREA. There's 14 places in my area that you can order what you want to eat and they bring it right to your door. Perfect. .I will order my meals! Well, a few of them anyway, 

Do you know? That was weeks ago and I still haven't ordered home delivery. I guess I am just an old-fashioned type of girl. 

 

9 comments:

  1. Look at the one dish kitchen website for ideas? I often cook in a mini casserole in my toaster oven
    And when I do cook a large meal.i freeze it for later as I'm not a fan of multiple meal eating. Tomorrow I am making minestrone with sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a friend who had plastic dinner containers with sections in it, like "TV dinners". She would make something and put the leftovers in the containers and freeze it. Do it a few times and you have a nice rotation to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are singing my song now. I have some ancient jar opening contraption from my grandmother's kitchen. Works great! Thick rubber bands work great too. Just wrap them around the jar lid and it provides just the right grip.

    My daughter and I went out to eat at our local diner where we got our main meal, beverages, and dessert for under $20 total including the tip. You can't beat that! I'm thinking of going more often. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sense of humor is intact, Latane! I can just see you praying the neighbors wouldn't call the fire department whilst shooing the smoke out the door.

      Delete
  4. I hear you about cooking for one. I have a hard time cooking for two after having a big active family. We end up with lots of leftovers but I do freeze some of them. My hands, too, are the weakest part of my body...sigh. Have a wonderful night- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well cooking for two is hard also. We eat in most every day but occasionally will get take-out and just run pick it up. We will get through this and I pray that I am around to see the end of COVID! Enjoy your day dear friend, one day at a time is all we can do. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't have much delivery here.
    It's a tough time for many. I feel you.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, this is mom's kitty. That was her dictating to me to say to you. Mom has her own blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.