Monday, April 6, 2020

Book or Blog? That is the Question!

I couldn't go to sleep last night!

I was just dozing off when this idea hit my brain and I was done for.

I'd posted a couple weeks ago, on facebook, a post about our living on Midway Island and it caught people's attention. There's not a heck of a whole lot of people who can say they have ever been to Midway, much less lived there.


Living there for 18 months certainly was an opportunity of a lifetime. I just wish I had realized it at the time. But, I was young, busy taking care of three youngsters and to me that island was just sand and birds. Most of my photographs are of the children! Grandmother back home in Alabama was missing her little babies. So, I sent pictures. It never occurred to me that some day I'd wish I'd taken a whole lot more and of other things.

But, there were reasons I didn't. First of all, film cost money and we didn't have much to spare. And, colored film had to be for special occassions.

And, then there was the developing. More money. And, if you made a boo-boo taking a picture. Too bad. It still cost you an arm and a leg. When a roll of film was finished I'd take it down to the exchange and they'd send it to Honolulu for processing. When the prints were done, they would lie there until a plane was headed back toward Midway. It was such a trial.

I heard that one of the wives had set up a dark room in their apartment. So, she developed a lot of my pictures.

But, I've gotten off the path here

.

I thought I ought to write about our life on Midway. Not just little short facebook posts but a whole blog, maybe. Or .... even better.... a book.

Of course, I couldn't go to sleep. What to do? What to do? Not like I don't have a kazillion other projects I need to finish. Oh well. I'll figure it all out. 

2 comments:

  1. I feel that same way about my life in Key West. We don't usually see the importance of and area till we are quite separated from it. Blog would be quicker and we would get to enjoy it sooner but a book would be an interesting challenge. Just go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Latane, when and if you decide to post about your Midway experiences, I’m sure that others like myself will find them interesting reads. And, now all we have is time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.