Wednesday, October 16, 2024

My Going-Away Box

Well, I up and did it!  I opened my mouth when I should have kept it shut! 😐

I'd just read a book written by a hospice nurse so when I ran into a couple of residents chatting about dying my interest was peaked. And, I ended up offering to conduct a meeting about 'That Next Step' that we all will take one of these days.

It was on Monday night, a small crowd. I already knew quite a bit and I had spent a couple weeks researching online for more information. The meeting lasted an hour and a half and I was complimented and thanked afterwards. I had given them something to think about, new things to set into motion. 

                And, I had taken my 'Going Away' file box to show them. 


This box holds all my original certificates, notes on my wishes for, say, my funeral, my care before I die. There's a handwritten letter to each of my children that they can open after I am gone. Even the passwords to my online accounts. My will, Durable Power of Attorney, Medical Attorney and Advance Directive (Living Will) are all in there, as well. 


And, my children won't have the heart-breaking task of trying to find where I stashed stuff. It's all in one place. 

I felt really good about what I had done, maybe the little help I had given others. I've always been involved in organizations and clubs who have a purpose, who lend a helping hand'. So, it was pretty neat putting 'that hat' back on for a brief period of time.

Do you have your affairs in order? I am talking to you younger gals, too. We are not promised tomorrow. Anything can happen. 


I can't imagine a loved one scrambling around in the back of a closet, looking for an old shoebox that might have the house deed in it, or your cemetery plot deed. And, to make decisions instead of you having done that for your children already! 

What a gift. 
 

3 comments:

  1. What a WONDERFUL idea. I am going to do that. My papers, etc., are all filed but not in one place. You have certainly given many of us a good idea. I think that might be a great idea for our group here, too. Many of us are aging. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is excellent, Latane! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a great last gift to give to your kids. My Dad had his all together and as the person who was executor of his will, I was so thankful.
    We've got a lot of ours together, but I like your idea of letters and funeral plans.
    You did great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.