Monday, November 18, 2019

Band Members In The Big City

My gosh....
Where did this past week go?

It's been a week since my last post and I apologize for that. Just felt like a sloth this week with little ambition. Do you ever get to feeling like that? It sucks.

So, it's Monday again and time for


I've gotten some very positive comments about my little memory stories. Thank you all so much!

When I was in high school. Yes, I did go to high school he he. I joined the marching band.
It was great fun.
I played the trombone. I wanted to be a flutist but they had enough flutes and
needed a trombonist.
Ta Da. Me

My memory today is of a trip we took. We worked hard, raised enough money and went to Philadelphia to march in the 1949 American Legion parade. 
I didn't have enough experience with my trombone so I carried a flag in that parade.
Well, to put it bluntly.... I didn't know how to toot that horn yet.


Our band director arranged for us to have our own railroad coach.  When we'd get to a city, the train car was just pulled to a side track and it would be waiting for us when we got ready to move on. Boy, we felt like we were VIPs. 

We also had sightseeing stopovers in Washington D. C. and New York City.
Oh man, we were country kids turned loose in the city!! (we had chaperones, well most of the time)


When we were on a bus tour of D. C. I looked out the window and saw President Harry Truman taking his morning walk. The bus pulled on and I got no picture. Darn. 

We saw a lot of the sites in D. C. and went on to New York. I wrote some of the cutest little letters and cards to my folks back home. I'd never done anything like this ever...

One night in the Big Apple, we were let loose on our own. Now, I was a very cautious girl even back in those days and only walked with friends down to a eatery a couple block away from the hotel. But, the stories I heard about what some of the other band members did... oh my. 
I wonder if their parents ever found out!!!!

Up until my high school years, I was raised by a single mother. We lived in the house with my grandparents and an unmarried aunt. The aunt took care of me while Mom worked. We had nothing. So, this trip was a Big Deal to me

9 comments:

  1. What an adventure and you still have photos to remind you of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful memory with lots of fun attached. Now arent you glad you played the trombone? he he

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. :-) Your band outfit was cute. I wonder when bands started letting girls wear pants. Skirts aren't so great on very cold or windy days. The Husband played trombone in his high school and college marching bands. Memories of those days are among his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great memory. My high school years are pretty much a blank. I saw a picture in a yearbook of the folk singing club and there I was. Don't even remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adventure for a high school student! I was in our high school band, too, and have fond memories. I’m enjoying your Monday memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have wonderful memories! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this trip down your memory lane, Latane.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this Memory Monday! Enjoyed the read and the pictures even though I know the story! Wow...there have been so many adventures since then!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.