Sunday, July 7, 2019

Seek A Newer World

My son sent me a book that he thought I'd really enjoy and you know what.... I love it.

                     It's "30 Lessons For Living" written by Karl Pillemer Ph.D  



           Dr. Pillemer asked 1000 older people to share their advice on living a good life. 

              Boy, there is some great stuff in there. 

One woman aged 76 (now, by crackies, that's not old) said "Remember, you only get one chance to go through life. Don't ruin it for yourself."

Right along with that is the quote from Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem about Ulysses. "Come, my friends. 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world".

I've been dating some of my pictures by going through my old journals. I was so lazy about dating pictures, writing where it was taken. So, I am in an attempt to date what I can.




I just finished dating a trip that daughter Susan took her Dad and me on back in 1991. He never was jazzed about starting on a trip but by the time we got back he'd be so excited about what all he'd seen and done, you'd think it had all been his idea. 



We started in Paris, traveled on to Switzerland, moved on to northern Italy and ended up in Monaco.



          Seeing those pictures just got me all teary-eyed, remembering what a great trip it had been.

And, wouldn't you know it... today I get a Marco Polo* (I'll explain that later) from Susan, a video of the beautiful view she sees from a hotel in Capri, Italy. A part of me feels jealous... but reality soon kicked in. I am not sure my old body would withstand a trip like that 

                                                               YET...
                                                                               maybe

                                                     " 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world"

* Marco Polo is an app that allows you to make and then send a video to someone. They, in turn, can video you back. I really, really enjoy it. Seeing and hearing the person talk. 

7 comments:

  1. Nice memories, Latane. DH and I took 2 trips to Europe back in 1996 and 1998. Fond memories. Would I like to go back? Maybe... not sure if I could do all the walking, etc. now. Possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of envy your European trips. Canada and the Bahamas are the only times I have left our borders. So glad you have pictures to stir the memories. Memories never tire us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking through older photos can bring joy as well as sadness, but then both are part of our lives so good things. The book sounds like it has some very wise advice from folks who should know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos of you from those very special days.
    I try hard to make each day special realizing that one never knows at this age just how many more there will be! As for travel, you know how we still go often and always have fantastic times as we enjoy meeting new people along the way. Next big overseas one will be in October!
    Happy week dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see your photos Latane, special memories hug us around the heart. That is a thoughtful gift from your son and interesting quotes too. Thank you for sharing and have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First trip to your blog. I think I'm going to like it and will add it to my side-bar 'blogs that I follow' list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you and Dad had that special time! Glad you have those wonderful memories to hang onto. Boy, weren't Susan's videos awesome, though! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.