Friday, July 5, 2019

Cooking For One

It's just the pits cooking for one. Have you ever noticed that?

I have no training in being a chef for a single person.. well, to tell the truth, cooking was never my strong suite. But, I managed to feed six of us and none of us ever went hungry.





I hate messing up the kitchen to make one meal for one person. When I make a mess, there is no one else to clean it up!😝

There are ways to get around that. Grocery stores carry food now geared for the smaller family or even individuals. I stock up on some of that.


The best thing EVER is having it already cooked and delivered right to your door. Now, that's my kind of "cooking".




I've ordered from Swann's for a few years now. All their stuff is frozen and it's very good. AND ... they have already cooked products, too. Just warm it up and gobble it down. I am afraid I've done too much "gobbling" in my day but I figure at my age it isn't going to make a whole ton of difference what I eat. Might as well enjoy my "older" age.


Then there is the Uber delivery.




What? Yep... you just call a participating store or restaurant, tell them what you want... and doggone it, if they don't call up an Uber driver. He/she sticks what you've ordered in the back seat of their car, drives to your house and there you have it... a nice warm dinner. What's this world coming to? You can even do it online.



I am loving it. So, cooking for one has sort of turned into ordering for one. Oh, I still do a bit of cooking. Nothing beats home cooked veggies, fresh sliced home-grown tomatoes. I will get in the kitchen when I get a hankering for stuff like that.



How many do you cook for?


Be sure to leave me a comment, let me know the number, what your favorite food is or do you order out? I would love to hear from you.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it nice that there are so many options now? I mainly cook for two now. There are times I'm in the mood to get in the kitchen and cook, but it's nice to do something different now and then too. I think after cooking for our families after all those years we've earned it. :)
    On another note, I love your header. You do such a nice job with them. I was recently attempting to update mine and getting frustrated at every corner. Do you mind if I ask where you go to make yours? (PicMonkey,etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use PicMonkey. Just love it. I also frame most of my pictures that I use on my blog. I think that makes them look a little more jazzy. Thanks for commenting and visiting me. I'm home alot and look forward to time with my blog friends.

      Delete
    2. Latane, do you pay for a subscription to PicMonkey? I used them for headers a while ago and had good results. Yesterday I made a header and when I tried to save it I was told I needed to sign up for a free trial. I was logged into my account at the time. Don't know if things have changed and it is now necessary to pay for the account??

      Delete
  2. Latane, I have never ordered out... except for pizza and that is usually when the kids show up unexpectedly. I know it exists, just have never tried it. I do cook almost every night (for 3 now that grandson is living with us). My favorite food is hubby's red beans and rice - love it!! But I imagine if I was cooking just for me... there would be a lot of scrambled eggs and toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Rian. Guess what I ate today... scrambled eggs and toast. We think alike evidently.

      Delete
  3. Loving all your posts!
    I haven’t cooked in years....my hubby took over when he retired and sometimes my grandson cooks. I’m the cleaning lady.

    Isn’t it great having options?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our household now, there are 2 of us. For many years I was also a single. Like yourself, also never enjoyed cooking for 1, but always managed and cannot recall how often or what was cooked! We have a lot of cookbooks available, but usually rely on favorites - chicken, fish, salads. The only ordered out food we've done is pizza when it's been cold and nasty and we didn't want to venture out ourselves. We still go grocery shopping and avoid frozen prepared meals. scrambled eggs, quiche or a frittata are also good and relatively simple meals for us especially when we have to use up veggies fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to cook almost every night till daddy was first hospitalized. For 4 months, between the hospital trips and rehab, I rarely cooked. Even now, if I do cook it is something light and quick and when it is just 2 of us, it might be cereal, sandwiches or salad. If it is just me, i love a good grilled ham and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just one here and yep, cooking has changed. I often eat basically raw. Cherry tomatoes, sliced banana, boiled egg, carrot sticks, a granola bar and some Ensure is a favorite dinner. I have to be careful with a heart diet and I live too far in the country to have delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cooking for two and usually enjoy everything about preparing a meal. Have never 'ordered out' or purchased those meal box thingys that the young, non cooking, people receive via a delivery service. When did youngsters decide they didn't want to learn at least the basics of cooking a lovely fresh meal?

    Favorites? That's difficult. Love anything with cheese. Crunchy buttered toast with thick cut English marmalade. Vegetarian homemade soups. A nice piece of grilled salmon - these hot days with a chilled glass of lovely pale rosé! I'm easy to please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cooking for two isn't much easier, especially when Russell's diabetes keeps him from having an appetite half the time! I really dislike cooking but mostly because of the mess it leaves in the kitchen. Just HATE cleaning up the messy kitchen! We can't have anything delivered where we live (too far out) and I guess that's good. Take-out I mean. I think I could probably have those fresh veggies, etc delivered but I haven't tried that yet. I'll let you know. In the meantime, I fall back on cooking large amounts of something we can eat on for three days or freeze half of. Right now I have some chili and potato soup frozen from this past week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.