Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Memories Remembered

 Lovely weather!! Cool, sunny and I could live in this kind of weather forever!! 

Yesterday I conducted the second session of a Recalling Your Memories workshop here at the Commons. It's just so darn important to record what happened in your life so that your grandchildren, great-grands and so on will know where they came from and who they have as ancestors. It doesn't matter how... handwritten in a notebook, in a computer file, Recorded with your cellphone.... JUST MAKE SURE YOU DO IT. 

We actually are having fun listening to each other's childhood antics as each one reads their notebook entries. And, believe you me, there's some doozies. 

One read about a plane ride when she was young where the plane's landing gear did not deploy so they did a belly landing and had to scoot down those long slides out of the plane.

Another told of seeing a snake crawl into a hole in her flower garden so she got her husband's pistol and shot several shots into the hole hoping to kill the thing. (that was my story)

Another told of relocating a groundhog out of their yard to have it return and they did it again, same results. Guess it liked their yard. It was coming back long after they sold their house.

And, so on.....

I have a large theme binder full of pages of my and my husband's life from birth to now. I wrote down everything I could and he could remember. Our children will have a ball with that. 

My Shirley came today so we could go to lunch and she noticed some OLD letters lying on my dresser. Had a fit over them and I told her I had a whole stack of letters that me and her Dad exchanged from back in the '40s and 50s. They are all tied with a blue ribbon. She made a suggestion that I should have thought of years ago... they need to be in archival preservation.

So, I just ordered the supplies to do just that. That makes me feel good. I am doing something to preserve our past. If you think I want to be forgotten a year or two after I'm gone forget it!!  I've got proof all over the place of all the things that made me what I am today. The rest is up to those I leave behind! 

4 comments:

  1. Well done! There are so many stories to tell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have so much of your Husband's information, too. I am writing my life story and will just have to mesh in what I remember of his life where it intersects with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are leaving a legacy to your family, Latane, and they sure will appreciate all this information in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Latane, what a wonderful project! I too believe it is very important to share our stories and memories. I grew up on my family stories and they helped make me the person I am today. I am saddened by the lack of curiosity that some younger ones have today and I know they will appreciate these stories as they get older. I just restarted my blog after several years away. I plan on including many stories along the way. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.