Tuesday, January 2, 2024

The Best Laid Plans of Men or Mice!

 My New Year started off in the most horrible way.


Hope that's not a percursor to what's ahead in 2024. 

I mentioned in my last post that I had gotten sick Christmas night and had been coughing, sneezing etc, etc. My son got it, too and we just thought a head cold. 

Then the shoe fell.... or bucket dropped .... or whatever you want to call it.

Dau. Shirley called to say she had tested positive for Covid and that Michael and I should test as well. 

Michael was negative. I was not

                           Now, here's the kicker. 

A huge 90th birthday party had been planned for me for this weekend. I had family flying in from New York and Oregon (tickets already bought, plans made), neices driving in from Tenn. Invitations had been sent out. Balloons and streamers bought, a pictoral slideshow had been assembled as well as a playlist playing tunes I've enjoyed over the years. Friday night was to be an elaborate dinner with family, Saturday a big party with friends and family. 

                                    Guess what!! 

No party. My family will fly in. There will be a lot of mask wearing and distancing. 

I'd planned to dance with all of my grandsons. That won't happen. 


I could just punch a hole in the wall I am so upset. 

                         So, on to plan B.

This year is a monumental one. 90 years on this planet and still going strong! So, I have decided that I will celebrate all year long! 

23 comments:

  1. Noooo! One of the patients in my office had the same thing - turning 95 and family all coming in for a party. And she tested positive. Such awful timing.
    I pray you feel better soon and then celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Latane... how awful! Stuff happens... with no regard to our plans. But you can bet you and your family will always remember your 90th! We gave my mom a big 80th and a dinner party for her and her friends on her 90th. Hope you feel well enough to enjoy whatever you can. Get well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, what a big fat bummer!! I can only imagine your disappointment, but I admire your ability to come up with Plan B and I hope you enjoy every single moment all year long. Happy Birthday to you, Latane. I wish you good health and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 90..sorry about Covid…

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was Brenda sorry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, how awful for you, but a very good idea to celebrate all the year through.. You can do it, you've got to 90, that's some feat, so you go for it gal!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 90th Birthday You Are a Shining Star on Earth!

    Prayers for everyone's health
    Sad about the party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How disappointing! What a shame. I hope you get well quickly and are able to have lots of celebrations in the future. Happy 90th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Judee from Gluten Free A-Z Blog (http://www.realfoodblogger.com

      Delete
  9. Oh no, so sorry. Hope you recover quickly. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh lady, I love your attitude! I want to be just like you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to read about illness raining on your 90th birthday celebration, Latane, but your attitude makes up for the disappointment. Celebrate all year as it's what i always tell people they should do for their birthday year. I plan to do that when my own comes around in Feb. Happy ๐ŸŽ‚ Birthday to you๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽˆand I hope you do get to enjoy the family even with distancing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer! I say celebrate the whole year! Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A momentous birthday needs to have multiple celebrations. Happy celebrating #90. Did your doctor prescribe Paxlovid for you?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sad for you! I am so sorry. I like your year long plan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Latane, Happy 90th, and I am SO sorry that you tested positive, dang it. I hope you still all get together and enjoy a party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sad your plans were all messed up; you have a good idea to celebrate all this year of being 90.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How terribly disappointing for you...and your family and friends. I think celebrating all year is a great Plan B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that is too bad. I was going to ask you about covid in your last post, and forgot. We have friends and family getting it. It first starts like a common cold, so you never know anymore these days. Hoping you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh Latane, I am so sorry for you. No time is a good time to get Covid but this really is NOT a good time. I still wish for you a Happy Birthday and hope you can salvage what you can with your Birthday celebration with family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My friend, I am so sorry! I pray you feel better soon, and you certainly must celebrate all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry dear - but love your attitude which is I'm sure is just why you are reaching such an auspicious age!!!! Never give up, soldier on, stay calm, hang in there - you are amazing.
    Sending very happy birthday wishes to you dear Latane. Be well soon.
    Hugs Mary.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.