Monday, November 7, 2022

Sunning On A Street Light

When they were growing up, Shirley and Michael spent many hours at the bluff on our farm in Alabama. One day they spied two buzzards underneath the bluff where the 'mama' buzzard was sitting on a nest. They named those buzzards Gertrude and Heathcliff and they would go visit them often. That is until the eggs hatched and they all took off for parts unknown.


Fast forward some 50 years to yesterday! I see a large bird flying across the pond. He landed on top of the street light just across the driveway. Even though those have got to be the ugliest birds alive or dead I got my camera. 

I have so little to photograph now... you might say I was desperate for something... anything to snap.


It was a buzzard. As I stood there looking at this weird creature, he opened his wings to sun a bit.


That wingspan was gorgeous... and huge. Just look how colorful the feathers are... greys, pinks, fushias, and black and the pattern they all make.


 That bird may have an ugly face but what a body! 

5 comments:

  1. Wow wonderful captures of the buzzard. Yes, ugly face but so graceful when soaring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought buzzards were ugly too, but you've shown me a whole new view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugly to us maybe but to another buzzard, that is one studly fellow. I love to watch them riding the thermals from my porch. So graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buzzards are not the best looking birds, but looking at the wingspan, they sure are pretty! You take such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha...never thought of it that way! All I know is that they have taken off for parts unknown and are no longer bugging me. They are such wretched things and do nasty work. Guess somebody's got to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.