Sunday, June 9, 2019

A Durn Sewing Machine

Can you imagine my surprise when I awoke on Jan. 6 of this year.....it was my birthday!!

             Well, of course, I knew it was my birthday! Duh. I am not senile.... not yet anyway.😀

                      But, my surprise was just trying to figure out how in the dickens I got to be 85 years old.

                            I swear it was just yesterday that I had a houseful of teenagers driving me crazy.

                                                                  Where did the time go?

I am blessed at this age to be healthy in mind, body and spirit. 85 is just a couple of circles and a straight line with a curvy tail to it when put on paper. And, that's all it is... just a number.

I have lived quite a life, sometimes it just shocks me at all the fun I have had, the places I have gone... and all the sorrow I have lived through. People tell me I am a strong woman. Perhaps, but I often don't feel strong.

However, I've had a lifetime of living and at this age I want to share some of what keeps me happy, well-focused and living life to the fullest.

                                                                   I have a story to tell...
                                                       you knew that was coming, didn't you?

I have good genes. My only sister is 94. (grandma was 100 and mother was 92 when they passed)

Sis and I talk on the phone (she lives in Alabama, me in Virginia) and one day she told me that she wanted to get a sewing machine.

                                   What in the **** is a 94 year old going to do with a sewing machine?

So, Thursday she tells me that her daughter informed her that she had a surprise waiting in the office of  the retirement home my Sis lives in. It was a durn portable sewing machine.



Well, Sis has fallen three times since she moved into this independent living place 4 1/2 years ago so the staff watches out for her. The gal in the office says "Phil (he's the maintenance man) will take it up to your apartment for you".

Heck no. Sis picks up that sewing machine, puts it on the seat of her walker and heads off toward the elevator with it. That gal doesn't need help. And, she'll be using that machine, too...

Like I say. You just make up your mind to keep on going.

                                    Age may slow you down but it doesn't define who you are.

Live life to the fullest, in whatever capacity you can. You owe it to those you love the most.

But, most importantly, you owe it to YOU.

8 comments:

  1. Hello Latane, and thank you for stopping by my blog! Your attitude is perfect! How I wish my own mother had embraced life, but she was "old" in her seventies. Have a wonderful weekend! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. a privilege denied to so many!! this is a great story, i like your sister's attitude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice and good for your sister. She’s definitely quite a force and knows her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more! We never know when life ends -- early or late. Either way, do we want to miss something? No, living life to the fullest is indeed the best.

    And congratulations on your new blog. And thanks for stopping over at mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the women in your family were/are amazing to live to such great ages. My mum made 91 so perhaps I'll be here some years yet!

    So what will your sis be making - a new dancing dress, or a pretty quilt - she sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the women in your family were/are amazing to live to such great ages. My mum made 91 so perhaps I'll be here some years yet!

    So what will your sis be making - a new dancing dress, or a pretty quilt - she sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello there, My dear........This is the greatest advice!!! Made me really stop and think.... and think about myself. My attitude has been better lately and it makes a person feel so good. I imagine your sister is just like you - "a real go-getter". I really hope she enjoys her machine. I sew...used to sew a lot...and it can take your mind off all of your worries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom passed at 94... and she was a strong woman. However, my father and siblings weren't that lucky. I feel privileged to be 74 next month and often wonder how I got to here when they didn't. But I do agree that attitude is everything (or almost everything). And I also agree that we must appreciate each day, as well as actively look for the joy in life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visit, your comment and your friendship. You have just made my day.